Crab Bee Hoon Soup Recipe
Serves 2-3 pax
1 x 800g Sri Lankan crab (cleaned and cracked)
750ml CHU Chicken Collagen Soup
3 tablespoons canola oil
60g unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic (minced)
5 slices old ginger
5 dried scallops (pre-soaked 20mins in hot water)
50g dried ikan bilis
2 pieces dried sole fish
150ml evaporated milk
2 x 1 tablespoon hua tiao jiu/Shaoxing wine
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 packet rice vermicelli (Laksa bee hoon)
1 teaspoon white pepper, or more to taste
Bak Choy (optional)
- Heat wok over medium heat. Add oil. Fry sole fish, ikan bilis and soaked scallops till fragrant. Set aside.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a separate wok. Sauté garlic and ginger till fragrant.
- Add CHU Chicken Collagen Soup, water, 1 x Shaoxing wine, fried sole fish, fried ikan bilis and fried scallops into the wok. Bring to boil. Cover wok and let it boil over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add crab in. Cover wok with lid and bring to boil.
- Add evaporated milk, fish sauce, 1 x Shaoxing wine and pepper. Stir well.
- Cover wok and let it simmer under low heat for 20 minutes.
- While the crab is boiling, blanch noodles in boiling water. Drain water and set aside.
Taste the soup. If you prefer the soup:
a. to be saltier, add 1/2-1 tablespoon more fish sauce.
b. to have a more milky texture, add 1 more tablespoon of milk.
c. to be less rich, add water.
d. to be more peppery, add pepper.
Stir well and bring to a quick boil before moving to the next step.
- Remove crab. Pour soup into a strainer for a smoother consistency.
Add blanched noodles (and bak choy) into the soup. Serve immediately.
For your convenience, you may purchase the Crab Bee Hoon Recipe Kit (inclusive of Chicken Collagen Soup and all ingredients) here. While stocks last!